Thursday, April 12, 2007


I went to PAM to see the Damien Hirst exhibition today. He had four pieces provided: 1) "No Art; No Letters; No Society" 2) "Autopsy of a Sliced Human Brain" 3) "Something Solid Beneath All Creatures Great and Small" 3) "Chloroprotamide".

I'm not a big fan of Hirst. I think he goes for shock value in the same manner that Marilyn Manson does ("ooh! look at me! I'm so daring. I'm such an outsider. I'm such a rebel.") I feel that his works are predictable (ie: "there he goes again, talking about death and the modern human condition... using materials no one else would touch."). Although I did go for "Chloroprotamide." I liked the use of house paint in the dots, which made me think of suburbia and all the little houses lined up. Each house having it's own individuality, while at the same time condensing into a mass of uniform monotony. In "No Art; No Letters; No Society" I thought that the skulls w/ medical tape over eyes, mouth and ears was pretty blatant. Yup, we're talking about the pharmaceutical establishment. Yup, hear no evil, see no evil, etc...

I'm interested to hear what the professor has to say tonight. Anyone else have thoughts on Mr.Hirst?

1 comment:

clumsygirl said...

My concluding thought from my short review I turned in for my art class:

Hirst is a fading sign of the cynical, grandiose posturing of the early 90's where so many people in pop culture were out to make as much money as possible via their growing notoriety.