Thursday, May 10, 2007




Two things:

1. mrpants, ninjette and I went to the Oregon Potters' Association Showcase last Saturday. I had been a chaperone with the EHS kids the day before, but it was such an amazing show that I didn't mind at all returning for seconds. I think the OPA show is an excellent venue for people unfamiliar with ceramics as an art form to see the amazing and incredibly wide variety of styles, products and techniques that are part of pottery. Some of the booths you'll hate, some you'll be curious about and some you'll fall in love with. We ended up buying four pieces from a potter named Carol Lebreton. She had simple & beautiful, functional, porcelein ware along with some fantastic sculptural pieces. We also bought a rattle that was fired via saggar or fume kiln process. I'm not really sure what that means, but it creates an amazing color and texture on the surface of the piece. All in all, in was very cool.

2. I spent a good part of yesterday at the Bagdad w/ a classmate putting together the finishing touches on our rough draft for our proposal. I will leave you with a choice tidbit, "Researchers will follow the general ethical principles outline in Mills (2007). These general ethical principles include beneficence and nonmaleficence, fidelity and responsibility, integrity, justice and respect for peoples' rights and dignity (Mills 2007)." I loved that we used both beneficence and nonmaleficence. Yay!
Did I mention the angle for our proposal? "The purpose of this study is to examine the relationship between art curriculum and community involvement on student engagement. Our attempt is to suggest ways to use community involvement to enhance student engagement in the art classroom."

Now I'm off to write a response to Laura Mulvey's essay on how she links the pleasures of film and modern art to an essentially repressive social structure, and how that relates to feminism. Oiy.

No comments: